From A Southern Writer

I will be posting things that I hope will make you think, give you a giggle every now and then, and all in all entertain you! Hope you enjoy it! A very special Thank You to GOING SOUTH SPORTSMAN MAGAZINE for putting the wisdom of Gran'ma Gertie in print!

Friday, November 21, 2008

Double Trouble

I am a hunter. I enjoy the outdoors, so I am careful to preserve and protect the environment that offers me so much pleasure. I am equally careful to watch my behavior and safety so as not to give the anti-gun people a reason to take away my hunting privileges, or give them ammunition they could use against my 2nd Amendment rights as well. I have been a hunter since early childhood, going with my father before I was even big enough to carry a firearm. As a gift, I received my first firearm at the age of 9, a sweet little used Steven .410 single shot that I have to this day. I have killed many rabbits and squirrels as a child with this little gem. After growing up, I have been fortunate enough to increase my firearm ownership, growing familiar with each and every one to the point they feel like an extension of my hands. So what could be the trouble I am speaking of? Well, first off, I am female.

Throughout my growing up, I was often a mis-fit. I didn’t fit in with the girls because I’d rather be in the woods than playing with Barbie dolls. I didn’t fit in with the boys just because I was a girl. I couldn’t relate to either of them. As a teen, I didn’t dress all frilly, or spend hours on my make-up and hair just to impress the boys. The teen boys either avoided me or treated me like one of the guys. Regardless of my age, I did however, fit in with daddy just fine.

When I was born, daddy of course wanted a boy. But according to mama, it didn’t take long for him to have me wrapped around his little finger, and him around mine. He started teaching me early and taking me with him on hunts by the age of 5 or so. I really enjoyed these times, as he was in the military and would often be gone for months at a time. Even though we were never allowed to go over seas with him, being a military brat did give me the opportunity to hunt in many environments, different terrains, and to hunt a wide variety of game. I hunted my first bear at age 12 in northern California, as well as wild hogs in the Georgia swamps, ducks in Texas, rabbit in Ohio, and the usual white tails in these same states. Throw in a nice mule deer in Colorado a few years ago, a few birds such as dove and pheasant, add some squirrel and that about covers it. Luckily, my father took the time to teach me. I was very fortunate to have a father that didn't mind that I was a girl.

According to an article (written by Kevin Helliker of the New York Times) on October 5, 2008 in the Atlanta Journal Constitution, “… the overall number of U.S. hunters declined to 12.5 million from 14.1 million in the 15 years ending in 2006, the number of women hunters rose to 1.2 million from 1.1 million, according to a survey conducted every five years by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.” It is obvious that the number of female hunters continues to increase. Just about all the firearm manufactures now produce weapons with shorter stocks and barrels suited for the smaller frame of most women. Makers of archery equipment are making bows with lighter and shorter pulls. There are now several clothing makers for the outdoors woman. That’s right, full camo gear, boots, hats, the whole nines. And none of it is pink! So if big business has realized this increase, and manufacturers are targeting the female dollar, why do I still get looked at and treated like I am less of a woman because I hunt? Am I less feminine in some way? I can put on pantyhose, a sexy dress, a push-up bra, throw on high heels and compete with the best of’em, but I can also field dress a deer while doing it! Less of a woman? I don’t think so. A more talented woman? Of course.

Oddly, outdoor sports such as hunting are still considered a man’s domain in many places. If a woman does get to go on a hunting trip, she is expected to stay at camp, keep the fire going and coffee on, and do the cooking for their great male hunters. Well, that’s just pure hogwash! And I’m not the only one that feels this way. I am a member of a hunting forum based in Idaho, though there are members from all over the U.S. A female member and I were discussing hurdles we females have to overcome to be considered just worthy of being in the woods. She told me “There have been countless times when I'm out hunting and for instance, when hiking back to camp and have been hiking back on a logging road, a truck of passerbys will go by. I get the double take and heard one truck full say "D**N, That's a d**n woman!" Like DUH! WE DO HUNT TOO! I don't know. It just struck me as ridiculous for a bunch of males to be shocked that a woman would be out there all camoed up, geared up huntin' and hikin' just like they do. Many of them SO underestimate our drive and strength and passion to hunt!” (K.H. in Oregon)

So yes, we have to face a lot being both a woman and being a hunter. That covers trouble number one. Fellows, it’s time to “man up” and accept us for who and what we are – real women with a real love for the outdoors and for hunting.

For trouble number two, being from the south I feel I have to prove all the typical stereotypes wrong. So many people that are not from the south have a very skewed idea of us southerners in general. I know this for a fact because I have lived in all areas of the country. Much of it is based on our celebrities and comedians and the way they portray being southern. Good grief, Larry the Cable guy is a fellow named Daniel Lawrence Whitney that was born in Nebraska! Southern, my foot! In many cases, we are seen as backwards, uneducated, and often ignorant. Someone needs to let the cat out of the bag and tell the rest of the world that we are not like that.

Real southern women are nothing like the Sugarbaker sisters from the sitcom “Designing Women”. That while we may talk similar to them, we really are not as ignorant as the Beverly Hillbillies. We no longer have party line telephones like “Green Acres”. That Hey world! We have indeed moved into the 21st century. And will someone please let Jeff Foxworthy know that his “You might be Redneck” jokes are getting old. They were cute for a laugh in the beginning, but they have been getting more outrageous and making us southerners look worse and worse as time goes by.

As for being southern hunters, we are often thought of as being indiscriminate, having no regard for legalities or conservation. Nothing more than a bunch of mullet wearin’, mud boggin', beer swillin', monster truckin’, fire huntin', shotgun totin', throw another 'possum in the pot yahoo's shooting whatever comes into our view and yelling Yee Haw! all the way. Yeah, right.

Those of us that have hunted our whole lives often learned from our fathers and grandfathers. There is more at stake here than getting meat for the table. There is the time honored tradition of hunting. The teachings that we have received that are now second nature to us. The memories we have of time spent and first hunts, of our first success in the field, and the pride we have in knowing we are able to provide healthy, fresh meat for our families.

By learning how to be a be a more conscientious hunter, and by teaching my children and one day, my grandchildren, to be the same way, I hope the rest of the nation will begin to see that we are not what they think we are. The sad part is there will always be a few idiots who get the media’s attention, which of course makes the rest of us look bad. So, if you have any pride at all and value your hunting traditions, when you see idiotic and/or unsafe behavior, do the right thing - call the Law Enforcement division of the DNR and turn the idiots in.

So my fellow hunters, when you see me coming, you will know I have fought double trouble for most of my life. Ever since I was born I’ve been both a girl and a true southerner. It’s been a heck’uva fight, and I’ll probably have a few more scuffles along the way. You will know that I won’t be prejudiced against you because you speak differently or assume that because you are from “up north” you’re automatically rude. I won’t down you just because you’re a man. I happen to like men – I’m married to one that I wouldn’t trade for all the gold in… wherever all the gold is kept.. Just do me one favor – when you see me coming, try to look at the real me. It’s one step at a time ya’ll, one step at a time!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Sparky said…

    Excellent article! I too am sick of the Southern stereotype in the movies, TV and such.

    Plus, I am also a female hunter and have occasionally run into the same prejudice (perhaps because of Hollywood?). I also fish, SCUBA dive, motorcycle, etc. etc. I haven't met too much prejudice of late. Maybe people are getting used to seeing women do 'non traditional' roles. Anyway, my husband has told me he has had many of his friends say they were jealous of him because their wives aren't 'into' such things. Pity. They are missing out on wonderful past times and being with their fellow. Well, I say I'm the lucky one that my husband enjoys being out-of-doors!

    Y'all have a good'en! ♥ ∞

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Debbie said…

    Hey lady! How have you been? This article is superb. Reminds me of my father and I. I started hunting with him when I was just a little girl. I often tease that I was his first son. We don't hunt anymore but, we are the best of fishing buddies. Have a great day and good to hear from you again.

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said…

    hello, I came over from Sparky's site. I used to go target shooting, fishing, hiking and camping with my step-dad and those were some good times! He and my brother have taken up bow hunting, too. I was also the only girl in the county playing drums in a marching band back in high school. Yet I definitely consider myself feminine, without all the "trappings" like makeup, etc. And since the age of 4 I am a Southerner all the way! So I hear ya, sister! I guess we can be glad our husbands know how feminine we really are.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home